Feb 22, 2011

Split/Screen

I love this device. Mostly because I love the 60s and that's when it became very vogue to split screen multiple events or even just moments, through multiple images on the screen at the same time. Thomas Crown Affair (1968) was my was my favorite example until I saw The Boston Strangler (also 1968), but it's been featured in films such as the cutesy Pillow Talk (1959) to the trademark look of the intense, thriller tv series 24 ('01-10). Aside from the regular split telephone conversation the split is simply stylish, used to pump out more information at a faster rate, and sometimes it's chosen to reveal important juxtapositions, which is when I like it best.


Two films which utilize the juxtapose split nicely are the relationship dramas Conversations w/Other Women (2005) and (500) Days of Summer (2009). If you haven't seen them, watch them!

No comments:

Post a Comment